The first two subdivisions were called Pembroke Pines. In January 1960, Pembroke Pines held another election, and the village became a city.
This small property was less than a square mile and was between Hollywood Boulevard and SW 72nd Avenue, and had the Florida Turnpike to the east.
The resulting boom ranked the City of Pembroke Pines third in a list of "Fastest Growing Cities" in the United States in 1999.The road put through his land came to be known as Pembroke Road. Kipnis) suggested the name Pembroke Pines because of the pine trees growing near Pembroke Road. It was then known as the "Village of Pembroke Pines" and was incorporated into a village in 1959.The first inhabitants of the area were American Indians who first appeared about 4,000 years ago. Builders contested the incorporation, so a legal battle ensued concerning the boundaries of the new municipality.The city's population has grown from 65,452 in 1990 to 157,594 in 2011.A bond initiative was passed by city residents to allow the city to begin construction to redesign the intersection.